If receding gums make you self-conscious or hesitant to smile, Sunstone Dental can help. Our gum grafts are designed to restore your confidence and overall dental health. Using advanced techniques, our experienced dental professionals will expertly graft healthy gum tissue to conceal exposed roots, resulting in a natural and symmetrical gumline. This procedure not only enhances your smile’s aesthetics but also safeguards your teeth against sensitivity, decay, and potential loss. Regain your smile and confidence at Sunstone Dental.
What is Gum Recession?
Gum recession, a common dental issue, occurs when the gum tissue surrounding teeth recedes, revealing tooth roots. This condition can lead to problems like tooth sensitivity, heightened decay risk, and an unsightly smile. Several factors contribute to gum recession, including poor oral hygiene, aggressive brushing, gum disease, hormonal changes, genetics, and certain medications. Identifying these causes is crucial for effective prevention and management. Gum recession may present as visible tooth roots, longer teeth, sensitivity to temperature, and an uneven gumline. If these symptoms arise, professional assistance is essential to prevent further damage and restore gum health.
Causes and Symptoms of Gum Recession
Gum recession, the process where the gum tissue surrounding the teeth begins to wear away or recede, has several causes and associated symptoms. Some common causes include:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Inadequate brushing, flossing, and infrequent dental check-ups can lead to plaque and bacterial buildup, which can irritate and damage gum tissue. Aggressive or improper brushing techniques may also contribute to gum recession.
- Gum Disease (Periodontitis): This bacterial infection can destroy gum tissue and the supporting structures around the teeth, causing gum recession and potential tooth loss if left untreated.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal fluctuations, such as those during pregnancy or menopause, can make gums more susceptible to recession. These changes weaken the gum tissue and make it more prone to damage.
- Genetics: Genetic factors can predispose individuals to gum recession, and if it runs in the family, there’s a higher risk of developing the condition.
Common symptoms of gum recession include:
- Tooth Sensitivity: Exposed tooth roots can lead to heightened sensitivity, especially to hot and cold temperatures.
- Visible Tooth Roots: As the gumline recedes, the tooth roots may become visible, altering the appearance of the smile.
- Elongated Teeth: Teeth may appear longer due to the gum tissue’s retreat.
- Changes in Gumline: The gumline may appear uneven, with certain teeth looking longer than others.
- Loose Teeth: In severe cases, gum recession can lead to teeth becoming loose.
Seeking professional dental care upon noticing these symptoms is crucial for early detection, intervention, and the prevention of further damage to gum health and overall oral well-being. If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to call Sunstone Dental in Delta, BC. Our dental professionals are happy to help!
The Importance of Treating Gum Recession
Addressing gum recession is vital for several reasons. Firstly, it reduces tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures, allowing you to enjoy food and drinks without discomfort. It also protects against tooth decay since exposed tooth roots are more vulnerable to damage from bacteria and plaque. Treating gum recession maintains a healthy and attractive smile. Procedures like gum grafts enhance both appearance and self-confidence by restoring the gum line. Moreover, it prevents further dental issues and preserves overall oral health, as gum recession can signal underlying problems like gum disease. Early intervention is crucial to avoid more severe complications in the future. In essence, addressing gum recession enhances your smile’s aesthetics and ensures long-term oral well-being.
Book an Appointment
Are you ready to bid farewell to gum recession and greet a confident, radiant smile? Book your consultation at Sunstone Dental Clinic today to initiate your smile transformation journey. Our welcoming and knowledgeable team of dentists in Delta, BC is here to address your inquiries and ensure top-tier dental care in a comfortable environment. With our gum graft expertise and dedication to patient satisfaction, your dream smile is well within reach. Don’t allow gum recession to hold you back any longer—start your smile transformation journey by calling (604) 428-8722 and scheduling your consultation at Sunstone Dental Clinic.